With some 219km of coastline, the mermaid shaped island of Corfu has some mermezing playgrounds.
Here our merfamily gathers, swims and sings together.
Many mythical rocks and geographical formations bejewel this sacred island all of which are not on the list bellow.
Some things are meant to be kept a secret!
These are three small offshore islands (inhabited), North-West of Corfu.
A rock next to Mathraki supposed to be the Phoenician’s boat which was turned to stone.
If you look carefully it looks like a ship trailing a dinghy. A great number of skippers have been caught out with this optical illusion.
DIAPLOS (North-West) and GRAVIA or KORAKONISI (both uninhabited)
PERISTERA or KAPARELI (TIGNOSO)
From 1887 there is a lighthouse there, grade 8 emitting a white and red beam every minute.
Further North from this island there are many reefs. Some 700 metres East,these emerge above the surface and the name of the most important is PSILLOS (Barchetta).
Half a mile away is the SERPA reef.
It is very close to San Stefano, (North- East) and great care should be taken to avoid it!
PTIHIA (Island of Vido)
North of Corfu Town. Here during the Peloponesian wars which didn’t really affect Corfu, the Angevins called it “San Stefano Island”. There was a church built on this island but destroyed when the British left Corfu.
From the 16th century onwards it was named MOLIPIERI and later VIDO from the name of its owner then.
The French (1799) destroyed the wonderful olive groves and named it “Ile de Paix” (Island of Peace)
During the era of the British Protectorate, excellent defense
works were established on this small island, but after the intense requests by the Austrian Government to demolish them ,when the British left they blew up all these defenses.
With the 3rd article of 14 November 1863 a treaty was signed in London concerning the Union of the Seven Islands with Greece.
This treaty was also concerned with the destruction of the Corfu Fortresses but fortunately only the Fortress of AVRAAM , VIDO and the battlements of the New Fortress (KORAKOFOLIA) were destroyed.
KONDILONISI or BROUZADO
A small rock very close to the island of Vido.
The name derives from the old Greek word “KONDILOS” meaning a type of reed (quite similar to bamboo) which grows on this rock.
In the early 1960’s the French Consul Mr. Spiro Nikolakis bought this rock from the Greek Government in order to build a house on it. This never happened because the old Consul died before seeing his dream come true.
AGIOS DIMITRIOS or LAZARETTO
West of the island of Vido lies this quarantine island. Here they found ruins of ancient buildings with mosaics and coins of Roman Emperors.
This small island occupied by the Turks, after the Russians who established a military hospital.
PONDIKONISI (MOUSE ISLAND and the trade mark of Corfu)
Situated at the entrance of the Chalikiopoulos lagoon, about 200 metres from Kanoni.
There is a Byzantine church of CHRIST PANTOCRATOR on this islet.
Two small uninhabited rocks South West of the village of Argirades (opposite KORISSIA LAGOON)
Mermaids Corfu offer tailored mermaid experiences for the whole family and children above the age of 7.
Find us at www.mermaidscorfu.com or call +30 6983 751891.
By Aleko Damaskinos
Photo: Bill Metallinos of Poseidon’s Rock in Agios Gordios, Corfu.